Preparing Your Trail for Accreditation
Before applying for accreditation make sure your trail is ready. Here is a quick checklist you may wish to address:
- Trail obstructions – remove blowdowns, rock falls, etc.
- Brushing – cut back as required to keep trail corridor open, cut woody and annual growth
- Weed and alien vegetation removal as required
- Water Bars – clear as required
- Litter removal and clean-up
- Huts and Shelter areas are clean and functioning
- Signage and Blazes – repaint as required, ensure all signage is visible and accurate
- Ensure water sources are accessible and clean
- Close off abandoned trail sections and any short cuts on switchbacks
- Address all safety issues
- Blazes, markers, cairns and posts – check appropriate frequency, position, readability
- Trailheads – road directional signs, parking area, ablution blocks, litter, etc.
- Bridges and Stiles – ensure safety
- Shelters and Huts – check evidence of leaks, repairs needed, painting required, or evidence of unauthorized use
- Check condition of showers, toilets, taps, tables, etc.
- Fire Pits and Grates – clean and repair as needed
- Check if trail contact information is correct on signage and marketing material